Royal Caribbean International will commence ‘cruises to nowhere’ from Singapore starting in December after receiving approval from the Singapore government.
The cruises, for Singapore residents only, will sail on 3- and 4-night Ocean Getaways on board Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas. The new sailings, exclusive to residents of Singapore, debut 1 December, 2020, and are now available for booking.
Genting Cruises has also received authorization to operate similar sailings aboard its World Dream from November 6.
Parent company Royal Caribbean Group said it had been working closely with the local health and tourism authorities to follow all requirements and guidelines including the CruiseSafe Certification standards, which all cruise lines must obtain prior to sailing out of Singapore.
‘cruise to nowhere’ at 50 percent capacity
The Singapore Tourism Board said both lines would sail at no more than 50 percent capacity. All passengers will have to maintain a distance of at least one meter, wear masks, and take a COVID-19 antigen test prior to boarding.
“Singapore residents are adventurous travellers, and we are so excited to give them the opportunity to get away from their daily grind and enjoy a thrilling world-class Ocean Getaway, with total peace of mind. While the cruise experience will be different than it was pre-pandemic, we are committed to providing the signature Royal Caribbean holiday that guests know and love, while keeping the health and safety of everyone on board as our top priority” said Angie Stephen, managing director, Asia Pacific, Royal Caribbean International. “I extend my deepest gratitude to the Singapore Government for their collaboration and support and confidence in Royal Caribbean to deliver a safe cruising experience. We share their strong commitment and focus to reignite the local economy and bring back jobs and services supporting the travel industry.”
“As ASEAN’s lead coordinator for cruise development, Singapore remains committed to supporting and growing cruise tourism in the region. Royal Caribbean International is a key partner in growing cruising in Singapore and the region, and I am confident in their ability to maintain the highest standards of hygiene and safety,” said Keith Tan, Chief Executive, Singapore Tourism Board. “We will continue to work with cruise lines and our industry stakeholders to chart a new course for safe cruising.”
Health and safety measures at every step
Royal Carribean said it would implement a comprehensive set of health and safety measures at every step of the guest journey with rigorous protocols that include, testing and screening; upgraded Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems that enhance filtration; stringent cleaning practices; reduced capacities for greater physical distancing; expert medical care and onboard facilities, and more. Details of its health and safety protocols can be found at www.royalpromise.com/singapore.
Guests who book before 30 November, 2020, can cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise begins and Royal Caribbean is also providing COVID-19 protection that includes a 100% credit towards a future cruise should a guest or any member of their travel party test positive for COVID-19 during the three weeks prior to their booked cruise; or a full refund if a guest, or any member of their travel party, tests positive during their voyage. Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19 related costs up to $25,000 SGD per person in the travel party for onboard medical costs, any required quarantine and travel home.