Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines will not be pursuing plans for a protective facial mask that had been dubbed “Seaface,” the company’s chairman and CEO Richard Fain said in an interview.
“For innovation to work, you need to look at a lot of ideas, including a lot of dumb ideas. … We look at a lot of ideas, and sometimes even the dumbest of them inspire really good related ideas. That was one idea that was thrown out of which we’re not pursuing,” Fain told the Cruise Critic website during an extensive interview on the company’s preparations for a resumption of sailing and safety measures against COVID-19.
Royal Caribbean has yet to announce its actual safety protocols
Royal Caribbean applied for a trademark on an antiviral protective mask on April 8. The application, for which Royal Caribbean paid $450, listed “Seaface” as a “medical apparatus” to be used for “virus isolation” and “cruise ship purposes.”
Royal Caribbean has yet to announce its actual safety protocols for when the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) eventually lifts its no-sail order, which currently runs until July 24.
Last week Fain said in a video message to travel advisors that Royal Caribbean would “soon be announcing a blue-ribbon panel working to ensure our health safety protocols are unparalleled.”
Phased return to cruising as of August 1
Royal Caribbean International had announced plans for a phased return to cruising as of August 1, subject to developments.
China sailings had been slated for a July 1 return, but Royal Caribbean has now pushed the date back on that until at least July 12. The decision will affect sailings on the Quantum of the Seas and on Royal Caribbean’s newest ship Spectrum of the Seas, while journeys on Voyager of the Seas are canceled through September.
The planned August 21, 2020 and August 8 departures of Brilliance of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas respectively have also been cancelled after Denmark extended restrictions on all non-essential travel through August 31, 2020.