Traveling is arguably easier than ever before, with your next vacation planned and booked in just a few clicks. Technology’s role in simplifying the travel process is even more efficient through the wide availability of mobile apps on the market.
According to Statista, over two million apps are ready for download from the Apple store alone, with a huge selection for the travel market.
For the young savvy traveler of today, here’s the top nine apps you need for staying on track, saving money and discovering local secrets.
- Never miss a beat with the Eventseeker app, designed for you to discover new songs, bands, and musicians to stream through your Spotify account. Users can also search for festivals, nightlife, theater, sporting events and more within a specific area to figure out plans on the go.
- GenFriends is a sleek application for booking luxury hostels throughout Europe and currently Maimi, which connects users with likeminded people through social events and shared spaces. Users can also make contacts through the app, chat with others on the go and join up with groups to explore cities.
- Heading to the US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand? Then RoadTrippers is a must for your smartphone. The travel planning platform features millions of adventurous road trips and unique locations. Users can select a route, plan stops along the way, and share their journey with friends. The app also has the option to book a hotel and save places of interest to visit later.
- Wave goodbye to jetlag and adjust quickly to new time zones with Timeshifter. Developed by renowned scientists, the app aims to reduce symptoms of jet lag through resynchronizing your body clock with small actions at specific times of the day.
- Flipping between currencies? Keep on top of your spending with the XE Currency app, a useful tool for calculating live conversion rates in over 180 countries. In addition, the app continuously updates so it can work without internet.
- Keep your digital travel journal alive with Trippin and share all of your favorite discoveries with friends and family. Add your own artwork, top tips and highlight all your fun finds on an interactive map. In addition, users can access curated lists shared by Trippin’s ‘frequent fliers’.
- Besides being a general personal safety tool, the ICE app is especially useful when traveling. The in case of emergency app lets you send an instant message to your contacts, alerting them of your situation and location. The app sends a notification via messenger, email or text, with the option to send a scheduled message, even if your phone loses battery or is out of service.
- With all of your expenses tracked in one place, Trail Wallet makes budgeting during vacations simple. The app allows users to set a custom budget in your local currency and add in costs as and when needed. A chart and daily breakdown of expenses is provided.
- Gather around the dinner table with EatWith and munch your way through the local delicacies in each city. Hailed as the Airbnb of dining, the app offers users thousands of options to dine at host homes in over 130 countries, to experience the flavors and tastes indigenous to a destination.