Travelling is not everyone’s cup of tea and one of the top reasons cited for hating traveling is the long, arduous hours that it takes to reach a destination. For those who travel around the world, comfort while traveling comes first.
Often, traveling by plane is considered to be nothing less than torture because of the uncomfortable seats, which leave you with a sore neck. If you have traveled in a plane or even on a train for long hours and have gotten out of it with a sprained neck, then worry not, because travel pillows are there to save you.
Travel pillows are specially designed to provide support to your neck and head. Many passengers find the headrest to be discomforting. Either the headrests are too short or too high, and at times too damaged to be used.
Travel pillows for airplanes can then help them give support to their neck during long flights. Most of the travel pillows are made out of memory foam which readily adjusts to the shape of the neck.
Benefits of the best travel pillows
- Solves stiff neck worries- lack of space is a common problem faced by passengers while traveling, especially in a plane. An airplane pillow is designed in such a way that it helps relieve any stress or pressure that a passenger’s neck might face while traveling.
- Reduces the risk of germs- When taking a flight, there are many passengers who do not want to rest their heads against the headrest out of the fear of germs. This is a problem that can be solved by carrying one’s own neck pillow for the plane.
- Snoring and sleep apnea- As mentioned above, most airplane pillows are made out of memory foam which helps in keeping the neck straight. In a craned neck, there are chances of airways getting obstructed or blocked. A good quality airplane neck pillow will allow your neck to be relaxed, thus preventing sleep apnea and snoring.
- Easy to maintain- a travel pillow is durable and can be washed many times. So after a long tedious flight, you can easily wash your pillow to prevent germs from spreading.
- Comes in various shapes and sizes- the best thing about travel pillows is that you can find one as per your tastes. Travel pillows are not just available in conventional shapes anymore, which is the U-shape. They have some rather unconventional, absurd shapes like the TRTL pillow, ostrich shaped travel pillow or the j-shaped pillow.
Types of Travel Pillows
There are a wide variety of travel pillows in the market, which makes the CONsumer confused which one to buy and why? They have their benefits and problems. So, here are some of the popular travel pillows:
#1. Memory Foam Travel Pillows
Memory foam travel pillows are the standard travel pillows which most people prefer traveling with. Memory foam pillows are made out of dense material which keeps one’s neck straight.
The following are the benefits of memory foam pillows-
- Keeps the spine aligned- A memory foam pillow not only supports the neck but in doing so also keeps the spine aligned.
- Adjusts to the shape of your head- a memory foam pillow moulds itself to the shape of a passenger’s head, thus providing comfort.
- Various shapes- memory foam pillows are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. You can choose one according to your requirements.
- Stiff pillow- a memory foam pillow does not need any adjustments like flipping because it can maintain its shape.
Here are our top 3 picks of memory foam pillows:
Cabeau Evolution Classic Memory Foam Travel Pillow
Cabeau’s memory foam pillow is designed to provide a 360-degree support to the neck. This makes it an ideal travel companion for long train and plane journeys. It is made up of 100 percent memory foam which provides support to not just the head and neck but also the chin. Customers need not worry about the cover, as it can be easily washed and dried without damaging the product.
- Washable cover
- Optimum comfort while travelling for long hours.
- Does not have a storage bag.
Buy it here-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5KHQGH
Travelrest Ultimate Memory Foam Travel Pillow
Travelrest memory foam pillow is CONsidered to be the best airline pillow currently available in the market. It was voted as the best travel pillow for the year 2018 and 2019 by Wirecutter. One of its best features is that it is compressible to nearly one-fourth of its size.
Other than this it comes with a two year warranty period. It is made out of special Thermosensitive memory foam, providing ample support to the neck, spine, and shoulders.
- Comes with Velcro stuff sack and memory foam earplugs
- Can be compressed, therefore easy to carry
- Suitable for chronic pain
- Low-quality Velcro chip used.
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011Q4NYOC
MLVOC Travel Pillow
MLVOC has been in the business of designing travel pillows and other accessories since ages. And this makes it a customer-favorite since long. The pillow is covered in a super breathable and soft cloth, designed with sweat-resistant technology.
It comes with a travel kit which has- a 3D eye mask, earplugs, and a luxury bag. The pillow has an adjustable rope lock which buyers can use to customize the angle and size of the pillow.
- Has a snap strap and can be attached to the luggage.
- Comes with a travel bag.
- Comes with a one year warranty.
- Some customers found it suitable for large necks only.
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/MLVOC-Comfortable-Breathable-Washable-Contoured/dp/B07L5GGSRJ
#2. Inflatable pillows or blow-up pillow
These types of airplane pillows have an air pump using which the firmness of the pillow can be adjusted. An inflatable pillow also acts as a cervical pillow, thus, providing therapy for both your neck and back. The adjustable air pump makes it the best sleeping pillow for a plane. Here are the advantages of an inflatable travel pillow-
- The adjustable air feature allows for a good fit around the neck.
- It can be decompressed and is easy to store in luggage.
- Its air cell technology helps to reduce pressure points in and around the neck.
- An inflatable pillow allows for blood flow as well as proper positioning of the neck.
- They are not as heavy as other travelling pillows.
Here is our choice of the best three inflatable pillows:
Eagle Creek Exhale Neck pillow
This pillow by Eagle Creek comes in a standard U- shape with a clip in the front to join the two ends. The cover is extra soft and feels smooth against the skin. It has polyester undersides which allow it to remain cool. The inflation and deflation do not take much time and is done pretty quickly.
- The clip attaching the two fronts provides extra support to the head.
- Easy to fold.
- Some customers found difficulty inflating it.
Travelrest Ultimate Travel Pillow
This pillow is a side-ways inflatable pillow, which straps easily around the bus, train, plane seats. It looks like an inflated seat belt and is apt for those souls who prefer sleeping side-ways.
This pillow comes with a two year warranty period. Its unique shape provides the upper body with ample support and relaxation.
- Uses minimum packing space.
- The design provides support and relieves strain on the neck and back.
- Can be worn/used in different ways.
- Provides support only on one side.
Xflyee inflatable pillow
One important feature of this pillow by Xflyee is that it is slip-resistant and so you do not have to worry about your head slipping on one side. It is lightweight and easy to carry while travelling. It provides support to your shoulders, neck, chin while you sleep peacefully while travelling.
- Soft on skin
- It comes with a storage box.
- Sweat proof.
- Tough to inflate at times.
#3.Smallest and lightest plane pillows
Searching for a small, lightweight pillow for travelling has turned nothing short of a nightmare for some of us. The importance of using a compact plane sleeping pillow cannot be emphasized enough and nor are they hard to guess.
- Small plane sleeping pillows can be easily tucked into our luggage, without bothering about creating a separate space for them.
- Lightweight pillows, as the name suggests, feel weightless around your neck or inside your travelling bag.
Our top picks:
Purefly Inflatable Travel Pillow-
Inflated pillows are the best airplane pillows mainly due to their compact sizes and the deflation feature. This airplane pillow by Purefly is a gem in the market as it inflates with just one button. Deflating it is just as easy. All you have to do is push a double sealed black air valve. After deflating it, the pillow can be folded easily as it becomes lightweight and compact.
- Velvety feel against the skin
- No bulk feel
- Comes with a packsack.
- The inflation button could malfunction.
AERIS Memory Foam Travel Pillow
This is hands down one of the most travel-friendly pillows available in the market owing to its compact size. It doesn’t take up much room inside a bag and comes with a velcro strap which can be attached to your luggage for easy carrying.
In this way, you do not have to walk around the airport with a heavy and stiff pillow around your neck. If this is not enough, this pillow comes with eye masks, earplugs, and a carrying bag too.
- Lightweight, only 12.3 ounces, and easy to fold.
- Total comfort provided.
- Slightly higher priced
AirComfy Ease Inflatable Travel Pillow
Not only is this pillow by AirComfy small and lightweight, it also offers top-level comfort. Its low-profile design prevents craning of your neck. Apart from this, you can also adjust the size using the inflate and deflate feature.
- Weighs less than a pound.
- Has an attached carabiner.
- Low-quality cord.
#4. Organic travel pillows
Organic pillows or green pillows have slowly made their way into the mainstream culture with more and more people realizing the importance of using organically made pillows even for travelling.
Organic pillows are made from organic material like buckwheat, organic wool and cotton, and do not use any synthetic material. The benefits of having an organic pillows are here:
- Organic pillows are less harmful than synthetically made pillows.
- There is no risk of inhaling chemicals
- They are eco-friendly
- Organic pillows contain no allergens and are safe to be used by everyone.
- They can be recycled thus, helping in the struggle to save the environment.
- Organic pillows are durable and easy to maintain.
Here are some of the best organic pillows to use
Huzi Infinity Pillow
Huzi infinity pillow had made headlines after its launch and it continues to lure troubled passengers. It is made of organic bamboo fabric and is one of the best environment friendly pillows. It doesn’t just work as a neck-supporting travel pillow, but can be put to multiple purposes. It can be used to block noises, for back support and also as a window pillow.
- Easy breathability
- Machine wash
- Adjustable design
- Its big size might be a problem for some.
A1 Home Collections travel pillow
This pillow is non-toxic, organic and unlike most eco-friendly pillows is affordable. Its gel technology allows easy cooling and comfort. Many customers reported that their neck pain was almost gone while using this pillow.
- Mesh, breathable fabric cover.
- Easy removable covers.
- Advanced gel technology.
- CertiPUR-US Certified
- Some customers found it to be too big.
MALOUF Z Shredded
This is a luxurious pillow for all those who wish to travel in style without giving up on comfort. The cover is made out of rayon and is sourced from organic bamboo.
- Sustainable material
- Gel-infused foam
- Many customers found the size to be too big.
#5. Unconventional & Trending travel pillows
Gone are the days when the only travel pillow available to you was the U-shaped one. Now, we have a wide range of unconventional, weird, funny, call-it-whatever-you-want-to travel pillow.
But these pillows no matter how weird they may look are also some of the trendiest pillows in the market at present. They offer a lot of comforts owing to the particular shapes and designs they are made into. Some of the most loved unconventional shaped pillows ar:
- OSTRICH PILLOW LIGHT
Those who have used this pillow often find them to be subjects of stares and laughs but nothing can be more comfortable than having a pillow that is soothing to your neck, face and your entire upper body.
The original ostrich pillow gained lots of popularity that the creators had to bring it out in various ranges and sizes. Some customers prefer the lighter ostrich pillows to the heavier ones. The ostrich pillow can be put to multiple uses- you may wrap it around your neck or just put it over your eyes.
- Can be inverted, offering two ranges of colors.
- High-quality cloth used.
- Acts as an eye mask too
- Has a cord to adjust the fit.
- Does not prevent your head from rolling forward while speeding.
- TRTL Pillow
Probably the most talked of plane sleeping pillow, the Trtl(pronounced as turtle) pillow has eased its way into every travelers’ bags due to the high-end comfort it provides. This pillow might make you look like the most awkward person on the flight but the comfort it provides makes up for it.
It looks like a scarf and has been built using a scientifically approved design which prevents your head from rolling forward while you are napping.
- Comes with extra cushioning and soft fleece details.
- Extremely lightweight, only half a pound.
- Some customers might not like the design.
- Sunany H-shaped travel pillow
Not just the unique H-shape but this pillow also offers a hood for its users to experience fuss-free sleep while they are in the skies. The H-shape allows it to be used in a million different ways all according to the way a person wants to sleep in.
The shape prevents the neck from getting strained and tilted. There is no pressure put on your spine and neck. Its velvety material makes it feel soft against the skin. It comes with a hood, eye mask, earplugs, and drawstring bag.
- Comes with a hoodie cap for extra comfort.
- Excellent neck support offered.
- 1.The hood might not find many takers.
To this list of the trending unconventional pillows, the following types need an honorable mention: J-shaped pillow, Chin supporting pillows, nap-anywhere pillows, and the woollip travel pillow.
Best travel pillows – Conclusion
Travel trends’ list of the best plane travel pillows includes pillows, which have been topping charts of being the most popular and comfortable travel pillows ever. They allow you to travel in a hassle-free manner without injuring your neck, spine and head. These pillows make traveling by air comfortable again. While selecting your own travel pillow, you may navigate through the categories provided by us (memory, inflatable, etc). Remember to check for the weight, the size, the accessories, durability, fabric used, and whether the pillow is eco-friendly or not.