The world is a big place, with almost 200 countries, each with its own unique culture and when choosing where to spend your downtime, there are many variables.
Here are 5 reasons to choose Thailand for your 2023 holiday.
- Tropical paradise – White sand, coconut trees and crystal-clear water, what’s not to love about staying at the luxurious Novotel Phuket Vintage Park? The weather is always nice, regardless of the time of year; high season (November-February) is a comfortable 23-25°C, summer (March-May) can reach 40°C and the rainy season is from June-October.
- Colourful culture – The Thai culture is unique; formerly Siam, this proud nation has never been colonised, therefore its culture has not been diluted by foreign lands. Thai people are very warm and friendly, plus they are proud of their rich heritage and they have regular Buddhist festivals, which you can enjoy. If you happen to be in Thailand for April 13th, this is the Thai New Year and across the nation, people throw water at each other! Songkran festival lasts from 11th-13th April, which is the hottest time of the year.
- Great value for money – The Thai baht is weakening, which is good news for tourists, who get more baht for their dollar, plus Thailand enjoys a much lower cost of living; the average Thai earns around $500 per month and they manage to enjoy a nice lifestyle. From travel costs to food and accommodation, Thailand has the West beat hands-down when it comes to cost of living. Click here for the best winter holiday destinations.
- Thai cuisine – Famed around the world, Thai food is much better when prepared in the Land of Smiles, with fresh ingredients and century-old recipes; Thai masaman curry is something to die for! The best Jasmine rice is grown in the central plateaus and each region of Thailand has its own unique cuisine, which you can experience. Spicy alert! Typically, every Thai dish will be spicy, so when ordering, say ‘Mai Phet khap’, which means ‘not spicy’, unless of course you are into hot food. The northeast is where to go for the best spicy pork salad, while seafood rules in the south and the great thing about Thailand is all types of food are available everywhere.
- Thai spa & massage – If you have yet to experience a body oil massage, be prepared for the ultimate body pampering; most resorts have their own spa & massage service, while there are many in Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Foot massage is something to try, while facials rejuvenate your skin, making you look years younger. Thailand is the world’s leader regarding massage as a treatment, so lay back and enjoy the sensations!
Check out the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s website for up-to-date information on all regions of the country. If you are planning for Xmas and New Year in Thailand, now is the time to book; whether a touring holiday or lazing by the pool, the Land of Smiles has it all, and some!